Sunday

The Polka Dot Bird


Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things I am tempted to think there are no little things.
~Bruce Barton
About the image: Taken thru the window - tree in my back yard.
About the quote: You may wonder what this quote has to do with this picture. In doing a little research on this bird - The Common Starling - I discovered that it is considered a "nuisance" here in the US (not to me though). It seems that there are 200 million of these in the US and they descended from 60-100 that were released in Central Park, NY back in 1890.
You can read more about this bird on Wikipedia - HERE
I think it is a beautiful bird :)

16 comments:

Barb said...

Looks like he's wearing a fancy vest for the fall party!

Jill said...

What a neat looking bird!

dAwN said...

Cool!

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

Interesting history of the bird. And a good photo showing the polka-dot detail. Very stylish:-)

TexWisGirl said...

they really are beautiful birds with their heart-shaped spots and their irridesence. :)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

It certainly has fascinating plumage.

Dawn said...

I should show this to my boys. They all tell me this bird is a pest. I spend my days defending it! He is beautiful!

Alice said...

Your windows must be much cleaner than mine. I would never get such clarity shooting through mine!

Mike B. @ slugyard.com said...

Great photo! I am trying to warm up to starlings, I really am. Not quite there yet, but I have to admit they look great this time of the year with their spots.

Mike B. @ slugyard.com said...

Great photo! I am trying to warm up to starlings, I really am. Not quite there yet, but I have to admit they look great this time of the year with their spots.

Ellie said...

He is a rather a good looking bird with all those spots on his feathers.

Happyone:-) said...

Great photo. We have starlings around here too. They are pretty when the sun shines on them.

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

I can almost count the polka dots from here! Great photo.

Cindy said...

Is that a juvenile Starling? I think so..Even "common" birds are a joy!

Horst in Edmonton said...

I think Starlings are beautiful birds.

Poppy said...

I think all birds are beautiful, we have lots of seagulls where I live, many people think of them as a nuisance - I love to watch them soaring over the sea at any time of the year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive