History is a symphony of echoes heard and unheard. It is a poem with events as verses.
~ Charles Angoff
This is what Wikipedia says about Ghost Signs:
A ghost sign is an old hand-painted advertising sign that has been preserved on a building for an extended period of time.
The sign may be kept for its nostalgic appeal, or simply indifference by the owner
Ghost signs are found across the world with the United States, the United Kingdom, France and Canada having many surviving examples. Ghost signs are also called fading ads[ and brickads.
In many cases these are advertisements painted on brick that remained over time. Old painted advertisements are occasionally discovered upon demolition of later-built adjoining structures.
Throughout rural areas, old barn advertisements continue to promote defunct brands and quaint roadside attractions.
Many ghost signs from the 1890s to 1960s are still visible. Such signs were most commonly used in the decades before the
East Radford Historic District is a national historic district located at Radford, Virginia. It encompasses 302 contributing buildings and 5 contributing structures in a mixed residential and commercial section of Radford, comprising most of the historic boundaries of the town of Central Depot. It was developed between 1866 and 1916, and includes notable examples of Queen Anne and Colonial Revival style architecture. Notable buildings include the Shanks House, the Ward-Carter House, Fraternity Building, Carson's Drug Store, Shumate Store, Alleghany Hotel, Simon Block, Bond Building, Williamson House, Maplehurst (the Arthur Roberts House), Dobbins Apartments, Belle Heth School (c. 1912), Grove Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church (1913), M. Jackson Hardware Company (1918), and Farmers' and Merchants' Bank.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.