Tuesday

Flyaway

In February I was asked to review a book about a wild bird rehabber. I agreed, and I'm so glad I did. As a bird lover, this book really touched my heart.




Suzie Gilbert's Flyaway: How a Wild Bird Rehabber Sought Adventure and Found Her Wings gives a first-hand account of what life is like as a wild bird rehabber - the ups and downs and in-betweens. The stress, the joy, the sadness, and yes the wonderful sense of accomplishment are all woven together throughout the pages. Flyaway takes you on Suzie's journey of setting up a wild bird rehabilitation center in her home located in New York's Hudson Valley.

From the first diminutive house finch to the lovable crows, you experience what it takes to rehab wild birds. Suzie not only rehabs the birds but combines those duties with the rigors of family life. I was enthralled with her children, Mac and Skye, who were Mommy's little helpers throughout, whether it was feeding the nestlings, giving a mallard a little "human interaction" or just being a shoulder for Mom to lean on. At some points "super-human" comes to mind when you realize how much juggling of priorities is required, but juggles she does - all in the name of helping these feathered friends to survive.

The first chapter had me laughing out loud as she describes what she went through to capture an injured black vulture. Each chapter thereafter is filled with happiness and heartache as call after call comes in from those who have wild birds that need help. Suzie's commitment to the birds is evident throughout the book - who else would allow a great blue heron to take over their bathroom?

Flyway is not only entertaining, but also educating. Suzie describes, in easy to understand terms, how the birds were rehabbed and what treatments were used. The text is accompanied by beautiful line drawings that illustrate some of the birds that she cared for.


Great blue herons, baby wood ducks, a peregrine falcon, and many others found their way to her center. From talons falling off, split beaks and seizures, to West Nile Virus and babies without parents, she saw and dealt with it all. Referring to her blue three-ring binder and advice from colleagues both near and far, she discovered how to treat and care for these lovely creatures. Flyaway is a book about sacrifices and great rewards in the pursuit of serving the wild bird community.

You can visit Suzie Gilbert's website HERE

10 comments:

Country Girl said...

What a wonderfully written review! And now I cannot wait to read this book. Thank you.

trish said...

I love that Suzie saw a need, wanted to do something, and did it. I think that's a great lesson for all of us. :)

I'm stoked you were on this tour!

Sarah Knight said...

sounds like a lovely book : )

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good read. Thanx for sharing! :)

Kathy said...

Sounds like a heart-warming must read!

Jayne said...

I got my sister this book last year, and now must borrow it to read it myself! :c)

Catherine said...

Sounds like a very inspirational book! Great review.

Kelly said...

I am reading this book right now and I absolutely LOVE it. All the little adventures are so fun.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this review. Very interesting-sounding book.

Paz

Tom said...

Excellent review... I will fly off to Suzie's web site after I've caught up here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive