Sunday

Down The Hatch


All of us are watchers – 
of television, of time clocks, 
of traffic on the freeway – 
but few are observers. 
Everyone is looking, 
not many are seeing. 
~ Peter M. Leschak

When I first saw this shot the first thing that came to mind that berry is going  "Down the Hatch".  And that got me wondering where that phrase came from.  In a bit of internet research I found out this:

"a drinking expression that seems to have its origins in sea freight, where cargoes are lowered into the hatch. First used by seamen, it has only been traced back to the turn of the century."
This info found at Naval History and Heritage

I remember saying this as I would try to coax my kids to take their medicine when they were little too.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive